These tasty stuffed mushrooms make a delicious starter or light lunch that is a little different
Mushrooms contain vitamins B and D plus some carbohydrate, and are a good source of valuable, gut friendly fibre. The crab adds protein, minerals and vitamins. Healthy fat in the dressing.
You will need a large baking tray, lined with non-stick baking liner.
Serve with wholemeal bread or rolls, warmed in a moderate oven for a few minutes before serving.
6 medium size cup or button mushrooms
1 Tbsp. olive, or rapeseed oil
3 spring onions, chopped
1 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
3 Tbsps. freshly picked white crab meat, or use a small can, (about 110g) of white crab meat, drained
1 Tbsp. fresh brown breadcrumbs
1 Tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. crème fraiche
25g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
A little cayenne or paprika pepper
To Serve: A few lettuce leaves, wholemeal bread.
1. Pre-heat oven to 210℃, 190℃, Fan, Gas 6.
2. Remove stalks from mushrooms, and reserve. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet, lined with non-stick baking liner. Brush lightly, on both sides, with the oil.
3. Chop the mushroom stalks roughly.
4. Heat remaining oil in a medium size saucepan and fry the spring onions and mushroom stalks over medium heat, for 1-2 minutes, until softened.
5. Remove from heat and turn into a mixing bowl, with any pan juices. Stir in remaining ingredients, except the cheese and cayenne pepper.
6. Stuff each mushroom with the crab mixture, dividing it evenly between them. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
7. Dust tops of each mushroom with a touch of cayenne or paprika pepper.
8. Bake the mushrooms for 12-15 minutes, until golden.
9. Serve immediately with the lettuce leaves and the wholemeal bread.